Friday, December 6, 2013

The 10 Best Rock Songs Of 2013


I guess no really good music comes out in December, unless you like Christmas Carols, so here's the best rock songs of 2013 (as determined by the online site "Loudwire", not me.)

#10
"Earth Rocker" by Clutch from the album Earth Rocker


I would not have guessed that this song would be one of the "best" songs of the year. I am familiar with the band, but not the song or album. It's not bad, but is it really the best? It's an aggressive throwback rock and roll tune with blistering guitars and a monsterous vocal.

#9
"There's No Going Back" by Sick Puppies from the album Connect


Another one that suprised me. I honestly don't listen to the radio that much, but I would think that the "best" songs of the year would be songs I've heard at least once. Maybe I should get out more, or maybe I just don't like what passes for hard rock these days. Cute girl playing bass and the guys look like they could start a boy band if Sick Puppies ever fades away into the sunset. This pop driven song really did nothing for me, except make me look for the stop button.

#8
"True North" by Bad Religion from the album True North



The headline says best hard rock, but aren't Bad Religion punk-rock? Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but at least this is better than the 2 previous songs on this list. But the song was over before I could type this.

#7
"Hail to the King" by Avenged Sevenfold from the album Hail To The King


Finally something I can agree with. I could complain about a few things about this band, like how all their guitar solos sound the same, but at least they are hard rock (maybe even metal) and they seem to care about making good music. A young band with an old school sound.

#6
"Love & Meth" by Korn from the album The Paradigm Shift



I've never been a huge fan of Korn, but their fans were pleased as punch to hear that Brian 'Head' Welch rejoined the band and appears on their newest album. If you liked Korn before, no reason to think you won't like this.

#5
"I Appear Missing" by Queens of the Stone Age from the album ...Like Clockwork


 This just sucks!

#4
"Cut Me Some Slack" by Dave Grohl & Friends from the Sound City soundtrack


Former Beatle Paul McCartney teams up with the surviving members of Nirvana on this song from Dave Grohl's Sound City film. Much better than most of the crap on this list.

#3
"I Hope You Suffer" by AFI from the album Burials


Not really something I loved upon first listen, but it might grow on me. Of this whole list so far there is only one band so far that I really listen to.

#2
"Hollow" by Alice In Chains from the album The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here


I had heard that Alice in Chains had a new album out and I heard something on the radio, but I don't think it was this song. It doesn't really blow me away, but it does fit with their body of work. it is very much what you expect to hear from Alice in Chains, which is not a bad thing at all.

#1
"Do Me A Favor" by Stone Sour from the album House of Gold & Bones Part 2


Since Corey may not return to Slipknot, Stone Sour seems to be getting heavier. I like Stone Sour way more than Slipknot, but this is pretty decent. Once again, I had never heard this song before. Not a bad tune, but is this really the best hard rock has to offer?

If you are interested in any of the albums mentioned in this article, you can click on the yellow links above and purchase them thru our online music store.


No comments:

Post a Comment